Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stood Up

I am exceptionally angry this morning.  And hurt.  And offended.  But mostly just depressed now.  I had a model named Daisy Rae booked for yesterday at 9am.  She's up in the Northeast from Indiana this week. She and I had agreed upon the date, the time and rate of pay about a month ago.  She reconfirmed with me about a week ago.  And yesterday at 9:04am, she texted me:
"hey its daisy rae sorry for delay I had some problems last night sovi (?) i am running behind so I am just now getting gone so I wanted to let u know we can either shoot later than 9am today or we can move till tomorrow same time I am open still then and other times let me know"

My reply at 9:07am (I'm disappointed, but it sounds like she's on her way already, so...) :
"how far from here are you?  if you think you can be here by 10 then today can work."

Daisy @ 9:08am:
"I am about 30mins or so but no failmair (I guess that's supposed to be "familiar") with area or traffic so not sure if would make by 10am or not"

Me @ 9:14am (I'm starting to get wary now, because I can see the signs- she's a flake):
"let's see how much work we can get done today.  if i need you longer than the time we have, maybe we can schedule a 2nd sitting tomorrow."

Daisy @ 9:19am
"I do prefer to usually shoot all in one time bc of my shudling ("scheduling", I think) and bc I have little free time this trip with travel times and shoots times but I guess I could work that out"

Me @ 9:26am (trying to conceal my growing ire- your time is worth more than mine?):
"i understand entirely. i'm all set up and ready to go and usually paint 10-1 so hopefully today will be enough and you can have fun tomorrow :) "

Me @ 10:30am (because an hour later, she STILL hasn't shown up):
"there's not going to be time today at this point to finish a painting, which is disappointing.  if we reschedule to tomorrow, can i trust that you can get here?"

Daisy @ 10:42am:
"I am sorry and yes traveling sucks sometimes things hardly ever go as planned"

Me @ 10:57am (she's basically saying "oops.  shit happens."  I'm pissed now):
"good luck with the rest of your trip, daisy.  it's a shame i won't be able to paint you."

Daisy @ 10:58am:
"Sorry I have missed typed ealier I can do tommorow sorry for todat"

Me @ 11:06am (after much deliberation):
"i really would like to paint you.  I've been looking forward to it for some time. can i trust you to be here on time tomorrow?  i'll need to plan accordingly."

Daisy @ 11:58am (after, apparently, a whole lot more deliberation):
"Yes"

Me @ 12:03pm: (cautiously):
"9am?  we can do 10am if that's better for you, i just need to plan ahead"

Daisy @ 12:04pm:
"10-2 is better but 9-1 is ok if u want"

Me @ 12:05pm (trying to makes things easier for her but still work within my schedule):
"how about 10am-1pm?  i have to leave by 1:20 for work"

Daisy @ 12:13pm
"I prefer the longer time if we use it up but if u think will be only 3 hours instead of 4 now I guess 10am works ok"

Me @ 12:16pm:
"i prefer the longer session too, i just want to make sure it works for you.  if you can be here @ 9am, i'll be ready.  whatever you can commit to is fine with me."

Daisy @ 12:17pm:
"Ok cool then 9am-1pm I will be there"

Which sounded pretty definite, so I replied at 12:20pm:
"thank you, daisy." to confirm.

So this morning I get up at 7am for the second day in a row (I'm usually asleep until after 9am) and get myself showered and dressed and filled with coffee.  I make sure everything's all ready to go, and sit down to smoke a few cigarettes until she gets here.

Except she never shows up.  And this time, no call, no text- nothing.  The utter lack of professionalism is staggering.  Two days in a row now she's blown me off, after I've scheduled and rescheduled. 

In previous posts, I've mentioned models I like and spoken about why.  It occurred to me today that my accolades don't really count for much unless I also call out models who behave the way Daisy has the past two days.  I not only would never recommend anyone work with her, I would urge artists to avoid this model altogether.

Perhaps I'm oversensitive to this sort of thing.  Models have flaked on me in the past, and I always find it hurtful and insulting.  This is the sort of thing that ruins an entire day, and tends to throw me into a despondent funk for a few days after that.  But I've never had anyone do this to me two days in a row, and I've never had someone not even bother to call.  I'm so fucking upset now I can't even concentrate enough to just paint something else.  I have to leave for work in an hour.  Hopefully I can calm down enough by then to deal with that place.

1 comment:

(Desiree/Disarray/D) said...

that's very frustrating. but she's got those really weird boobs anyway... (yeah, yeah, i'm mean). i'm sure you can find a more appealing specimen.