Thursday, April 14, 2011

I am not a picky eater

There are very few foods I won't eat (Licorice!  Ew!).  Of course, there are certain things I'll only have if I walk into the experience knowing I'm getting a very high quality version of the dish.  For instance, I don't eat cheap sushi or Mexican fast food.  I've learned from experience that this is a bad idea. But I love sushi and Mexican prepared well. It dawned on me this morning that this selective unpickiness (does that make sense?) is indicative of my general need for experimentation. 

I mean, a lot of people have a single bad experience with a food and then write it off, but I'll keep going back again and again. I make the assumption that if I ate something and didn't like it that the problem was not in my ability to taste but due to a lack of food quality. Then I'll try the dish elsewhere to test that assumption, and often find I was wrong.  I'll admit though, generally nothing as complicated as that all sounds actually happens.  I tend to love nearly everything I eat.  I kind of just love eating.  And food.


Making art is kind of like that for me too.  Bring it on.  Except drawing.  I'd rather eat licorice.  I keep trying, but I've realized I really just hate it. 

No comments: