Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Last Tree

"The Last Tree" Acrylic on Canvases: 2010
Back in the summer of 2010, I went up to visit my dad in Maine.  I had painted a picture recently and wanted to give him one.  We hadn't seen each other in a few years and I wanted him to get a sense of my work.

After we arrived, I took a few photos of the painting so I'd have a record of it, and then spent a great week with my dad, my son, and my then-girlfriend.

And then somewhere along the line, I lost the pictures I took of that trip. 

It had been so long since I'd seen the painting I couldn't even remember exactly what it looked like.  And then the other night, I found the SD card with the photos on it. 

Here are a couple of closeups for you:


A huge fan of Dr. Seuss as a kid, I think this piece probably had something to do with The Lorax.  My dad, something of a hermit and definitely a lover of nature, seemed the logical recipient for this one.  I called him yesterday morning to ask him if he'd check the back of the canvas for me, as I always sign, date and put the piece's title there.  Since I couldn't remember what I'd called it, I figured I'd ask him.  It turned out I'd never named this one, so I'm now calling it "The Last Tree."

No comments: