Monday, May 9, 2011

How to Pronounce my Name.

My name is Jason Randolph Burrell.  I've never heard anyone mispronounce my first or middle names, but people constantly pronounce my last name incorrectly, and I just want to set the record straight.  Despite what the spelling would suggest, my last name has one syllable.  It sounds like "berl."  Not "burr-relle," or "beaurall".

Furthermore, I am also increasingly of the opinion that those Burrells out there in their thousands that pronounce it  "burr-relle" are the descendants of previous generations who, like my brother Jared, just gave up on correcting people.  This makes my job harder when people get it wrong.

I've had people try to correct ME.  Fuck you!  It's the name I was born with and I'll pronounce it the same way my father does (barring when he's on a Scottish accent kick, when he says it's more like "boottle").

Thank you.  Rant over.  Now I've got to hop in the shower, suck down some coffee, and get to the ATM and back before the lovely Ms. Katie Marie arrives for our painting session this morning.  And then to work.  I'm sick as a dog, but I'm out of sick days.  Yay.

No comments: