Thursday, March 10, 2011

Whoops! I accidentally painted a landscape

Last night my new friend James Neville, who's experimenting with paint in ways similar to mine, came over to see how I paint.  We met at an event at which Meghan was reading some of her work a week or so ago, so this was the first time he'd seen any of my paintings in person.  Below are some pictures of what I did while he was here last night.  It started off as an abstract set of exercises to show him how certain techniques worked, but it gradually turned into a landscape I'm calling "Two Old Souls."

"Two Old Souls" Jason Burrell 2011.  Acrylic on Canvas.  20" x 16"
















Close up of where the grass meets the stream. I love the bare canvas.
















More great blank space around one of the trees...
















... and a closeup of the plant at the base of the other one.





















So that's what I did last night.  I think I might paint some more today.  I went to the neurologist this morning and got the clean bill of health I needed before I could get back to work tomorrow, so I want to take full advantage of the time remaining to me.  My model should be here in 20 minutes or so.  I figured, what the hell- I haven't painted a landscape in a while either, so why not a nude?  I'm lucky to have a model who texts me when she's in the area just in case I feel like working today.  Katie's definitely my favourite model right now. Both her carriage and her timing are perfect.

No comments: