Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Works in Progress, November 2011: Part Two

Today we're going to look at a few pieces I thought up until relatively recently were finished but which I'm now certain require a little more work. 

Remember this one?  I posted a video about it some time ago. You can watch it if you like, but be forewarned: it's long.  There's the silhouette of a figure standing at the end of this road.  It's currently called "Where Might This Dark Road End?"

The plan now is to replace the figure in this piece with another one from the newer, cartoony style I've been experimenting with recently.  I will also likely repaint the road itself and possibly replace the water with stones. It's unlikely I'll make a video of that, but I'll take plenty of pictures.

This one was originally not intended to be a work of art so much as a sign.  At 18" x 24", it's just slightly too large for the plastic tubs (which I call my paint troughs) in which I can safely pour and splatter large amounts of paint. 

However, there's a big ugly grey metal circuit breaker box on the wall of the apartment and this canvas is exactly the perfect size to hide it.  When I moved into this place, I put the then-blank canvas over the breaker box to cover it but wanted to- you know- paint something on it.

I have a bucket of wall paint I got from the landlord in case I need to touch up the walls, so I used that as the background for this painting.  I figured since the painting is especially meant for this particular wall, it was appropriate to make the transition as seamless as possible. In retrospect, for that reason, I should have used a 3/8" nap roller instead of a 3" sash brush, but I'm not too worried about it.

When I was a kid there were these boys that lived next door for a few years and we used to play together.  Sometimes we'd hang out in the unfinished attic over this weird old storage barn attached to their house.  The light fixture and bulb in this painting is as I remember the lights being in that space.  These crazy old-fashioned (hand-blown?) bulbs in ceramic fixtures attached to conduit pipes of some kind, jutting a few inches down from the rough-hewn wooden beams.  Obviously in this piece I chose to attach the bulb instead to a blue table.  The panel now serves as a sign marking the location of the circuit breakers- sort of a private absurdist joke.  I think I can make something more special out of it though.

In light of the recent changes I'm making in how I'm painting, I want very much to revisit this piece and really flesh it out.  There should be texture and light and the rest of whatever room that bulb is in.  I want it to be darker and dirtier and more like that weird old dusty attic space. 

Finally, this piece is the first painting I did of my friend Katie back in March.  In the following months I've almost just painted over this one a bunch of times.  There are some bits I love but for the most part, I'm just endlessly disappointed with it. 

Katie'll be leaving Massachusetts in a couple of months to go traveling and I want to complete a really good painting of her before she goes. 

Treating what's here as a blueprint of sorts, the completed painting will look very little like what you see now.  More context and more detail.  And brushstrokes.  It's funny- I've been violently opposed to brushstrokes for over a decade now and now they're becoming a necessary part of everything again.

Tomorrow, I'm going to write about a couple of works which have been in progress for quite some time. Both of these pieces were prophetic in their own ways, suggesting the changes that I would eventually make in the creative process, and each of them has a significant flaw which needs fixing.

4 comments:

Old Pine said...

I didn't see the yellow bird head left of the man in the "Road" painting last time. anyhow... Stones, huh? Red tinged stones maybe? What becomes of the blue splash behind the man? Too serious a situation for a cartoon guy (IMHO).

But then if I like it so much I should just buy it, huh? What would you charge to come down and "upgrade" it? Where does *that* road lead??

Jason Randolph Burrell said...

Hi Old Pine,

I don't see a yellow bird's head at all. That's something fun a lot of my paintings do, acting as these sort of Rorschach tests and being a little different for everyone.

I don't know what the stones, if I go that way, will look like exactly. Right now, I picture them widely spaced and possibly partially submerged in the water, but I may change my mind. The blue in the background and the red and yellow will remain untouched.

The fact that you feel the painting is serious makes me happy. I wonder sometimes if the intensity which I try to infuse in my work is transmitted to people.

I'll definitely be re-working the figure though and doing it in a style similar to other things I've been doing lately.

I'm not sure what you mean about an "upgrade" but if you still like it when it's finished and want to purchase it, I'll be very to oblige you.

In either case, thanks for reading and for commenting.

blank said...

I put a picture of a radiator where I would like a radiator to be. Somewhat similar to the light painting over the circuit breaker. I also recently painted a brick wall where I live. .

Jason Randolph Burrell said...

Hi Tiffany,

Send me pictures! I'd love to see your work.
thearttrials@gmail.com